03 October 2013

Women of Value: C is for Collaborate

THE A TO Z OF WOMEN OF VALUE

C is for COLLABORATE: Women of Value are Collaborators!


The definition of collaboration is working with each other to do a task and to achieve shared goals.   With the rise of the Internet and social media, we can now collaborate on an unprecedented scale. Have a listen to some of these inspiring TED talks on collaboration 
from inventors, teachers, and doctors, http://www.ted.com/topics/collaboration.  

As women we need to be collaborators. I have found collaboration a powerful tool in my growth as a business owner.  For this blog challenge I have collaborated with some wonderful business women to bring you their responses on what it means to them to be successful and what their passion is about being in business.

Today's entry features Leticia Mooney.


What for you defines a successful woman?  

For me, a successful person (gender doesn't matter) is a happy one, one who is pursuing his or her Big Dreams, is fearless and centred. I think it's important to celebrate fellow businesswomen, but at the same time I think that focusing on gender is limiting. 

My mum asked me recently, "Do you believe there's a glass-ceiling?"
My response was, "No. Because I've never encountered it. I think that the glass-ceiling is actually self-imposed limitation rooted in fear of success." I've never been afraid: of people in higher positions, of clients, of taking a risk and asking a tough question. To be taken seriously you need to be the bold person; and that's true whether you are male or female. 

What do you love the most about being a woman in business?  
That I'm doing what I love to do, and not just working for someone else. I'm not going to wait until I'm old to do what I want to do. What's the point in that? Plus, I love working with some of my most talented friends. They're all business people too - scattered all over the world.

What tips would you give to a woman who wants to start out in business?   
Lifestyle: Get up early. Get up before everybody else, and before the sun. Do yoga, because it will change your life. Meditate, even if it's only for 2 mins a day. You can achieve more by 10 am than most people do in a day, if you rise early.
Work: Do one thing more today than you did yesterday (this is my dad's wisdom, he's owned a very successful business for 20+ years). Get out of your comfort zone. Enjoy the comments about you being crazy - that indicates that you're on the right track. 
Business:  Focus on the good you're creating. If you aren't doing something good for the world - or for someone else - what is the point?

What is a great tool/resource/mobile app that you have found has helped you start and/or grow your business?  
I love 88 Miles (88miles.net). It's a time tracker that builds in business goals and gives you real-time snapshots of your Actual Hours & Income against Target Hours & Income. That business health snapshot is amazing for motivation. I love this tool so much I've become a bit of an evangelist! I did some press for these guys because I've been a volunteer beta tester for it and have been a long-time user; it didn't go the other way around. The other resource is Meetup for networking. Wow. Who'd have thought it would be so easy? 

What is a fear or challenge you have overcome (or are working towards) as a business owner?  
My challenge right now is customer acquisition and business growth... so I'm pushing myself out of my comfort zones left and right to make new connections in an attempt to drive more business. Any help is good help! All of my customers are elsewhere: another state, another country. I want to do some good locally, so this is my challenge currently.


In at nutshell, why should customers/clients buy your products/services?  
Because I believe that everybody has a right to great content, and great communication strategy. It is not limited to large corporations with big PR
budgets. Better content and communication underpins greater success: it's a strength of good relationships. Plus, I'm not ashamed to say that I'm excellent at what I do :P



Your own choice of question!  
My own choice of question? Ok: Is the best marketing channel a social network? Nooooooooo. Email newsletters trump social networks over and over, and are only secondary to CPC ads (Google ads) and organic searches. Facebook fan pages come after affiliates, banner advertising, and etc. You'll get an ROI off email newsletters; you can't measure it from the social networks. They're for relationship building, not sales.

Brutal Pixie: Content. Writing. Management. Ideas.
www.brutalpixie.com

T:    0421 925 382
E:    leticia@brutalpixie.com

Twitter:      @brutalpixie
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/brutalpixiecopywriting
LinkedIn:   http://au.linkedin.com/pub/leticia-mooney/67/b5b/332/

Now go Collaborate!

Igniting Dreams | Evoking Action


Love Maree
www.ideas2propelu.com.au



No comments:

Post a Comment