15 October 2013

Women of Value: K is for Kind

THE A TO Z OF WOMEN OF VALUE

K is for KIND: Women of Value are Kind-sighted!

I came across the the quote below the other day and I absolutely love it.  How often as women in particular do we beat ourselves up about things from the past?  

When I was a teenager I developed anorexia, what a horrible time of my life that was for me and for those around me.  I truly believed that when looking in the mirror I was fat and oh so ugly and that the only way I could remedy this was by getting skinny  

I was not a big girl to start with but my mind raced with unproductive and unhealthy thoughts when it came to my size and looks.  Teenager bullying and peer pressure added to the toxic mix, I lived on chewing gum day after day and even water seemed such an effort to drink.  

Wow I am glad those days are behind me - sometimes I look back at them with tremendous regret and beat myself up, thinking what an idiot I was to believe I was a fat chick that needed to be skinny; once you start treating your body like I did your body never fully recovers to its full level of health, Health issues have resulted from that time, but that is something I have had to come to peace with, within myself.  



Indeed the much kinder question to ask ourselves is what learning can we take away from what has happened,  The learning I can take away from my time of anorexia is that women are simply beautiful no matter what: colour, creed, shape or size; tall or fat or short or skinny or wide.  

I love the DOVE advertisement: DOVE Real Beauty Sketches - this clip i is powerful, I never get tired of watching it.



I am in a continual state of learning of how to be more kind to myself, I want to take my potential and do something with it, and help other women to have that same journey also.

Trust yourself. Create the kind of self that you will be happy to live with all your life. Make the most of yourself by fanning the tiny, inner sparks of possibility into flames of achievement.
Golda Meir 

Friends... they cherish one another's hopes. They are kind to one another's dreams.
Henry David Thoreau 



Now go be KIND-SIGHTED

Igniting Dreams | Evoking Action

Love Maree

No comments:

Post a Comment